By WALX Derwent and Dales at
Goal setting turns a wish into a pathway to ‘making it happen’. With a clear focus of what you want to achieve, goals can help you structure time, activity and energy getting to where you want to be.
There are many different techniques on goal setting out there, but the fundamentals are largely the same based on the principles of why it is good to set ourselves goals.
The Principles of Goal Setting:
3. Plan in detail what it is you have to do to achieve these goals and what you must give up or avoid
4. Break the big goals down into smaller milestones – reward yourself for each milestone achieved to keep yourself motivated
5. Keep your goals written down and somewhere prominent – this way you can see them at all times and this will avoid the ‘New Years Resolution’ trap
6. RECORD the progress at each milestone so you can really map the journey!
7. Share your goals with someone – this helps to keep you accountable in reaching your next milestones when things are tough and will also help you to stay motivated towards overcoming the challenges along the way
These tips are great principles to follow when starting the process of goal-setting. Achieving goals are an awesome way to boost our self-confidence, sense of self-worth and our overall mental wellbeing.
However, there are two final important pieces of advice:
Why don’t you make you CAN’T a CAN today?
Nothing builds self-esteem and self-confidence like accomplishment” Thomas Carlyle.